Sunday, January 22, 2012

Busy Saturday: Yabu, House of Katsu / Underworld Awakening / Wensha Pasay

Me, Kiko, Anton and Nathan went to SM Megamall last Saturday, January 21 to have dinner at Yabu, the new katsu place almost everyone is raving about.

I arrived early (530pm) so I made reservations muna then waited for the others to arrive. Then, at exactly 6:30pm, we went in.


If I knew na pwede pala, kain siguro ako ng kain ng tonkatsu bago pumasok for exams in school dati..



This teaches you how to 'personalize' your tonkatsu sauce.


One wall was covered with manga.





The menu and the chopsticks.


Hello Anton and Nathan.


The condiments (L-R) Tonkatsu sauce, salad dressing and cherry vinaigrette (for your unlimited cabbage), Japanese chili flakes and pepper, salt.


Nathan grinding his sesame seeds.


My tonkatsu sauce. I found that Yabu's tonkatsu sauce was a bit salty. I guess better than other tonkatsu sauces na lasang ketchup.


Anton and Nathan both ordered the 100g Hire Tonkatsu set. Hire tonkatsu is all meat, no fat. A set consists of tonkatsu, miso soup, unlimited cabbage, Japanese rice and fruits. It costs P295.


I ordered the 110g Rosu Tonkatsu set. P320. Rosu tonkatsu is pork loin, meaning, may fat.


Kiko got the Rosu Katsudon. P265. Hindi n'ya naubos because ang bigat daw sa tiyan. i'm thinking he's not eating that much as he'll go to a badminton game after dinner.


The verdict: Nathan almost shouted after biting his first Yabu tonkatsu: "Oh my God, ang lambot n'ya.". Their tonkatsu is indeed one of the best. I liked it. The breading was not flour-y, the pork was tasty and super soft (almost melts in your mouth pa nga). It is their specialty after all. Next visit, I might try their house specialty, the Kurobuta Pork Tonkatsu, the 'wagyu of pork'. The set is quite pricey, at P510.

Tonkatsu sauce was a bit salty. But I love the fact that it's tonkatsu sauce all you can.

Their miso soup is nothing out of the ordinary. Moshi Koshi's was way better.

For kambings and veggie lovers, you'll rave about the unlimited cabbage.

Service was fast, considering the restaurant was full.

Yes, the place is worth a visit.

Food - 4.5/5 (Mabigat sa tummy ang food nila.)
Ambiance - 4/5 (Minimalist Japanese. Always a good thing.)
Value for money - 3.5/5 (The prices on the menu does not have the 12% tax and service charge added yet. Budget per person? Around P400)
Service - 4/5 (Each waiter/waitress had their own unique design for their shirts. Cute.)

Yabu, House of Katsu
2nd Floor, Mega Atrium, SM Megamall Building A



A short review for Underworld Awakening: It was not that good. Pinakamaganda pa rin yung Part One. Before going to the moviehouse, I had read 'reviews' from my Facebook and Twitter feeds na it was amazing. Ewan ko, it was not that amazing for me.


I thought of it as a B-movie so we went in, me not expecting too much. If you want a movie that has a shallow plot (Michael 'dies' through an underwater explosion, 12 years later, Selene wakes up from a cryogenic sleep, may hybrid werewolf-vampire na anak si Selene and Michael, Selene saves her kasi daughter n'ya and she heals fast/is powerful, buhay si Michael, may sequel pa), gore, action scenes and some unknown supporting cast, this is for you.

But Kate Beckinsale is perfect for the role.

We then went to the renovated Wensha Pasay for a much needed relaxation. We all agree that it is a good reason to spend P680 here.

Food was still mediocre, well a bit okay that before. DO NOT eat their breaded pork. I had to complain to the manager as it was tough and may ibang lasa. I though botcha.

Hello Nathan and Anton.


JP followed us at the spa. Kiko went to his badminton game, hence his absence.


It was a busy and fun Saturday evening spent with friends and loved ones. Went home at around 3am Sunday.

And you guessed it right, I was late for my Sunday shift at work. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment